The “Yelena’s Face (Yelena’s face)” refers to a disturbing expression that the character of Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan), Yelena, does in reaction to the character Armin when he expresses his support for the Yeagerists. Following the premiere of the episode with the scene, the frowning face gained prominence online in the form of memes as exploitable source material for labeling and redrawing objects.
On June 7, 2019, chapter 118 was released “sneak attack” from the manga Shingeki no Kyojin. In the chapter, the character Armin tells the group that he sees no other option but to help the Yaegers, to which the character Yelena reacts by giving him a death glare before changing to a friendly expression and saying that she trusts him. On January 16, 2022, the 18th episode was released, titled “sneak attack“, from the fourth season of the anime adaptation of the work. This scene also appears in the episode.
In a recently published special video that included the participation of the director Yuichiro Hayashi and producer CG Yusuke Tannawacommented on the production of this scene, and confirmed that the anime kakegurui (which was also produced by MAPPA studios and was directed by Hayashi), served as the basis of the model:
- (Minute 18:05) Hayashi: Since I’ve had experiences with works like Kakegurui, I’m pretty good at those things.
- Tannawa: When you read the original manga, certain frames stick in your mind. And fans are hoping to see them in the anime.
- Hayashi: When you see that face, you wonder what kind of emotion is behind it.
- Tannawa: Due to a subtle intercut in the anime, when the expression is scrolled backwards it has an interesting effect.
- Hayashi: Also, in that bleak scene, there is a moment of comic relief, or rather horror. A moment like this is unique in this series.
- Tannawa: And we want to recreate the atmosphere of the manga in the animation.
- Hayashi: Like a surreal moment.
- Tannawa: Yeah, like you’re not sure if you should laugh or not.
Synopsis for Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season
Gabi Braun and Falco Grice have been training their entire lives to inherit one of the seven titans under Marley’s control and help their nation eradicate the Eldians on Paradis. However, just as all seems well for the two cadets, their peace is suddenly shaken by the arrival of Eren Yeager and the remaining members of the Scouting Corps. Having finally reached the Yeager family basement and learned of the dark history surrounding the Titans, the Survey Corps has finally found the answer they so desperately fought to discover. With the truth now in their hands, the group set off for the world beyond the walls. In this Final Season, two completely different worlds collide as each side pursues its own agenda in the long-awaited conclusion to Paradis’ fight for freedom.
© 諫山創・講談社／「進撃の巨人」The Final Season製作委員会