Parrot Analytics, the global audience demand analysis company, today announced the winners of the fourth edition of the Global TV Demand Awards. The most in-demand TV show in the world in 2021 was the Japanese anime series Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan), which is currently in its fourth and final season. The most in-demand series debut and the most in-demand “breakthrough” title, defined as a new series based on totally original intellectual property, was Squid Game from Netflix, the surprising Korean sensation that took the world by storm last fall.
The winners of the Global TV Demand Awards 2022 son:
- World Choice – World’s Most Demanded TV Show 2021: Shingeki no Kyojin.
- Most demanded anime series of 2021: Shingeki no Kyojin.
- Most demanded Asian export of 2021 (1): Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai.
- Most Demanded Book Adaptation of 2021 (2): The Witcher.
- Most demanded children’s series of 2021: Spongebob Squarepants.
- Most Demanded Comedy Series of 2021: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Most demanded documentary series of 2021: A Perfect Planet.
- Most Demanded Drama Series of 2021: The Walking Dead.
- Most demanded European export of 2021 (3): The Paper House (Money Heist).
- Most demanded horror series of 2021: American Horror Story.
- Most demanded Latin American export of 2021 (4): Dark Desire.
- Most Demanded Legacy Series of 2021 (5): Dragon Ball Z.
- Most Demanded Reality Series of 2021: Shark Tank.
- Most Demanded Revolutionary Series of 2021 (6): Squid Game.
- Most demanded science fiction and fantasy series of 2021: The Witcher.
- Most demanded series of 2021: Squid Game.
- Most demanded superhero series of 2021: WandaVision.
- Most In-Demand Superhero Talent of 2021 (7): Tom Hiddleston.
- Most Demanded True Crime Series of 2021: Q: Into the Storm.
- Outstanding Streaming Platform of 2021 (8): Disney Plus.
The winning series in each category was determined based on global television demand data from Parrot Analytics for the period between January 1 and December 31, 2021. Shingeki no Kyojin is the first non-English speaking series to win the title of the most in-demand television program in the world, which previously only had The Walking Dead Y Gmae of Thrones. Squid Game It is the first non-English speaking series to win the award for the most popular series.
These historic victories are the result of a seismic shift in global audience preferences for more international and non-English language content. The rise of Shingeki no Kyojin comes after a period of explosive international growth in the anime genre. In the past two years, the global demand for anime has grown by a staggering 118%, with the genre’s global demand share rising from 4.2% to 7.1%. Anime was the third most in-demand subgenre globally in 2021, behind only crime dramas and comedies.
The victories of Shingeki no Kyojin Y Squid Game they reflect a rising tide of non-English language content with global audiences. Worldwide, demand for all non-English-language content grew at roughly twice the demand for English-language content from January to December 2021. Global demand for Japanese-language content, largely led by series of anime, increased by 83%, while Korean-language content increased by 37% in the same period.
«This year’s Global TV Demand Award winners reaffirm that accessibility is key for audiences around the world to find their next favorite show. High-caliber anime series from Japan, such as Shingeki no Kyojin, are more readily available now than ever, streamlining the process of discovery, consumption, and conversation.», says Julia Alexander, Senior Strategy Analyst at Parrot Analytics. «As entertainment platforms move toward more global markets, a show from South Korea, Spain, or Germany is more likely to find a fan base outside of its home region. This year’s winners reiterate that the demand for international content is higher than ever: they just have to be visible to remain the most important».
Fountain: Parrot Analytics
© 2011–2022 Parrot Analytics Limited. All rights reserved.