the popular platform MyAnimeList published a graph compiling the ratings of the six seasons broadcast so far of the anime adaptation of the manga by Hajime Isayama, Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan). The information is presented with a fairly precise vertical scale, which is why it seems that the drops in scores are significant, although in reality there is only a difference of 0.58 points between the best and the worst qualified:
- Shingeki no Kyojin 1st Season – 8.53.
- Shingeki no Kyojin 2nd Season – 8.50 (lowest rating).
- Shingeki no Kyojin 3rd Season Part 1 – 8.62.
- Shingeki no Kyojin 3rd Season Part 2 – 9.08 (highest rating).
- Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 1 – 8.86.
- Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 – 8.97.
This graphic evidently inspired some comments from fans and anti-fans, such as the following:
- «I still think the first season is much better than all the others. It is on another level in all departments. Then the hype and the hype came along and they messed it up a bit. I like everything MAPPA did, but this most recent season… I find it really terrible, rushed, with only hype and money in mind, and made for people who aren’t into anime. Sawano is the only one keeping the series good enough, but still, he’s not even close to what the first and second seasons were.».
- «The second season was a masterpiece, WIT Studio took like 4 years to perfect everything, including the animation».
- «The end of the series will arrive more or less on par with Grand Theft Auto VI».
- «I’m probably in the minority with this, but while I liked the twists of the later seasons, I preferred the simplicity of the first season. I think it would have been great if the titans were evolved humans and the occupants behind the wall were another species. I think that would have been a really shocking twist. That being said, I still love the plot and except for the last part of Season 2, it’s been an amazing ride.».
- «The second season leaves you with so many questions that it is not that satisfying, but if you watch it again now everything makes sense and I appreciate the season much more now than at the time».
- «I really hope the rating doesn’t drop below 8.8. This season was really good, despite all the criticism».
- «Why do I feel like every time an anime comes close to taking the top spot for Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, the community of that series votes a bad score to lower the score of any anime that tries to take the top spot?».
- «I think almost every show will go up in viewership in subsequent seasons, even if the show doesn’t improve. At that time, the only people who continue to watch the series are those who like it, if you saw the first season and gave it a low score because you did not like it, you will not stay to see more seasons».
Synopsis for Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season
Gabi Braun and Falco Grice have been training their entire lives to inherit one of the seven titans under Marley’s control and help their nation eradicate the Eldians on Paradis. However, just as all seems well for the two cadets, their peace is suddenly shaken by the arrival of Eren Yeager and the remaining members of the Scouting Corps. Having finally reached the Yeager family basement and learned of the dark history surrounding the Titans, the Survey Corps has finally found the answer they so desperately fought to discover. With the truth now in their hands, the group set off for the world beyond the walls. In this Final Season, two completely different worlds collide as each side pursues its own agenda in the long-awaited conclusion to Paradis’ fight for freedom.
© 諫山創・講談社／「進撃の巨人」The Final Season製作委員会