Demon Slayer: The Hinokami Chronicles offers a Versus mode where it is possible to embody the cult characters of the manga. Here’s how to unlock them.
Taking the world by surprise with the anime produced by studio Ufotable, Demon Slayer (or Kimetsu no Yaiba in the original version) has become a real phenomenon.
If the adventures of Tanjiro and Nezuko are available in manga and anime, the license was also entitled to his very first game on consoles. Demon Slayer: The Hinokami Chronicles was released in France on October 15, 2021 on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox Series and Nintendo Switch.
Among other things, the game allows you to embody your favorite characters, from Tanjiro to Rengoku via Shinobu or Giyu. But for that, it will be necessary to achieve certain objectives.
Two game modes to immerse yourself in the Demon Slayer universe
Demon Slayer: The Hinokami Chronicles offers several game modes. The main one is the Story mode, which offers you to embody Tanjiro. The story follows the beginning of the manga up to the Infinity Train arc, which is chronicled in the movie Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Train.
One of the title’s other popular game modes is versus mode. In it, two players can face off in a duel in a closed arena. It is also possible to face a computer in Off-Line mode.
If online connection is enabled, players can also compete against other network players. However, depending on the consoles, this option may require a monthly subscription.
18 playable characters in Versus mode
The manga so far has a lot of very strong characters. However, the title has chosen to put 18 in the spotlight. These were chosen based on the progress in the story at the time of the title’s release (the Pleasure Quarter arc had not yet been released in anime) but also because they represent emblematic moments.
Among the playable characters, we obviously find the 4 heroes of the adventure, namely Tanjiro, Nezuko, Zenitsu and Inosuke. But there are also other characters like Sabito, Sakonji, Murata, Giyu, Shinobu Where Rengoku.
The selection is not limited to heroes, visible with a blue background in the selection menu. six demons, recognizable by their red background, are also playable: Rui, Akaza, Yahaba, Susamaru, Enmu and the Yushiro/Tamayo duo.
Note that unlike heroes, selecting a demon does not grant access to a support character. Finally, the final playable characters are Academy variants of the 4 main characters as well as Giyu and Shinobu.
How to unlock all playable characters in Demon Slayer: The Hinokami Chronicles?
Characters unlocked after the tutorial
You should know that the first playable characters are after only a few minutes of play. Indeed, the simple fact of completing the prologue already unlocks four of them.
The four characters in question are Tanjiro, Sabito, Makomo and Sakonji Urokodaki. To skip the prologue, which also acts as a tutorial, simply win a fight against Sabito.
The first part of the prologue is a practice where you simply learn how to use the controls and perform the special moves. The second part is a real fight against Sabito, but this one is not very active and therefore easy to beat.
Characters unlocked at the end of a chapter
Once the prologue is over, you go into the real story mode. It is divided into chapters corresponding to key moments in the plot.
Ending a chapter is often marked by the arrival in the roster of a new character. To enjoy as many characters as possible, it is therefore recommended to fully complete story mode.
Almost every chapter is rewarded with a new character:
- Nezuko is unlocked after Chapter 2
- Inosuke and Zentisu are unlocked after Chapter 4
- Murata is unlocked after Chapter 5
- Giyu is unlocked after Chapter 6
- shinobu is unlocked after chapter 7
- Rengoku and Tanjiro god of fire (Hinokami) are unlocked after Chapter 8
Kimetsu Academy Characters
Kimitsu Academy is a spin-off mini-series in which the heroes are high school students of the same name. Instead of wearing their haori, so they are in school uniform. But unlike other characters, you will have to complete missions to obtain them:
- Tanjiro Academy – Consult 40 Fragments of Memory
- Zenitsu Academy – Complete 15 reward missions
- Nezuko Academy – Consult 53 Fragments of Memory
- Inosuke Academy – Complete 19 reward missions
- Giyu Academy – Complete 7 Special Missions on Normal
- Shinobu Academy – Complete 7 Special Missions on Hard
Characters obtainable for free following DLC
Following several major updates, demons have been added for free to the list of playable characters. The 6 demons (Rio, Akaza, Yahaba, Susamaru, Enmu and the Yushiro/Tamayo duo) are therefore playable from the prologue provided you have updated the game.
Unlock arenas and bonus costumes
In addition to playable characters, other content items can be unlocked as you progress through the story. In Versus mode, 10 different arenas are offered. To unlock them, several conditions may be required.
Depending on the arena, you will be asked to complete reward missions Where special missions. Occasionally rank A will also be required to obtain these new internships.
The system is the same for hidden costumes. Many characters have alternate outfits like Inosuke without his boar headSabito without his mask or Tanjiro as a coal seller. To obtain them, certain conditions are also required:
- Kamado Tanjiro (Training) – Complete the Prologue
- Sabito (Without mask) – Complete the Prologue
- Kamado Tanjiro (Final Selection) – Complete The Final Selection Candidates’ reward mission (Chapter 1)
- Kamado Tanjiro (At Urokodaki’s) – Complete the Reward Mission “The Survivors of the Final Selection” (Chapter 1)
- Urokodaki Sakonji (Old Outfit) – Complete fight 2 in What lurks in the mountain” with rank A (Chapter 1)
- Kamado Tanjiro (Without haori) – Complete Fight 3 in The Assassin Menace with Rank A (Chapter 3)
- Agatsuma Zen’itsu (Final Selection) – Complete the “The Camp Intruder” Special Mission on Normal with Rank A (Chapter 4)
- Hashibara Inosuke (Boar Headless) – Complete the “The Camp Intruder” special mission on Hard with rank A (Chapter 4)
- Tomioka Giyu (Without haori) – Get Rank A in Chapter 6
- Kochô Shinobu (Without haori) – Get rank A in Gourd Breaker’ on Normal (Chapter 7)
- Kamado Tanjiro (Coal Seller) – Complete 1 fight in Enmu with Rank A (Chapter 8)
- Rengoku Kyōjurō (Without haori) – Get C rank in Chapter 8