In 2020, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba shattered manga sales records in Japan for a single year. However, in 2021 it has been overtaken by another series of the Weekly Shonen Jump, JUJUTSU KAISEN. Oricon published its annual sales listing, including sales by franchises and by individual volumes.
But despite this change in annual leadership, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba has reason to celebrate. Its latest volume, number 23, was published in Japan on December 4, 2020, and was still the best-selling of 2021. Despite having concluded almost a year ago, the work of Koyoharu Gotouge achieved a creditable second place on the overall list.
Before starting with the list, we clarify that these are only estimates from the most important data collection agency in Japan, based on physical sales, digital sales are not included. The data was compiled between November 23, 2020 and November 21, 2021.
Top 5 sales by series:
1. JUJUTSU KAISEN (30,917,746 copies)
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (29,511,021 copies)
3. Tokyo Revengers (24,981,486 copies)
4. Attack on Titan (7,332,398 copies)
5. My Hero Academia (7,020,361 copies)
Top 25 by volumes:
1. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba # 23 (5,171,440 copies sold)
2. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Stories of Water and Flame (2.374.621 copias vendidas)
3. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 14 (2,312,250 copies sold)
4. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 15 (2,306,950 copies sold)
5. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 16 (2,098,087 copies sold)
6. One Piece # 98 (2,018,042 copies sold)
7. JUJUTSU KAISEN 0 (1,930,831 copies sold)
8. One Piece # 99 (1,863,574 copies sold)
9. One Piece # 100 (1,839,886 copies sold)
10. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 13 (1,772,617 copies sold)
11. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 9 (1,772,331 copies sold)
12. JUJUTSU KAISEN# 8 (1,770,228 copies sold)
13. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 1 (1,765,995 copies sold)
14. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 12 (1,759,287 copies sold)
15. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 10 (1,749,558 copies sold)
16. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 11 (1,748,084 copies sold)
17. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 2 (1,732,361 copies sold)
18. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 7 (1,710,326 copies sold)
19. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 4 (1,705,266 copies sold)
20. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 3 (1,702,581 copies sold)
21. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Fan Book 2 (1,700,316 copies sold)
22. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 6 (1,694,028 copies sold)
23. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 5 (1,688,854 copies sold)
24. JUJUTSU KAISEN # 17 (1,628,943 copies sold)
25. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba # 22 (1,340,233 copies sold)
26. Attack on Titan # 33 (1,256,922 copies sold)
27. SPY x FAMILY # 6 (1,229,131 copies sold)
28. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba # 19 (1,158,245 copies sold)
29. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba # 18 (1,157,633 copies sold)
30. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba # 20 (1,130,381 copies sold)
As we already mentioned, JUJUTSU KAISEN it was the best-selling franchise for the year, as well as having control of most of the places on the best-selling volume list. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba managed to stay with the first two positions of best-selling volumes, in addition to breaking another record, the total sales of a volume in a year, with more than 5 million copies for the 23rd and last of the series.
This is the first year since Oricon began building its list in 2008 that One Piece is absent from the Top 5 best-selling series, and it is also the first year that two Weekly Shonen Jump series have surpassed it in sales. This year One Piece has published 3 volumes to date, with its 101st volume dated December 3, outside of the Oricon reporting period.
Demon Slayer and JUJUTSU KAISEN They also top the book list, with the first series reaching 776,320 copies sold of their light novels, defeating That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime and its 597,819 copies sold. Meanwhile, the light novel JUJUTSU KAISEN: Iku Natsu to Kaeru Aki it took the top spot as the best-selling individual volume, with 259,960 copies in total.
If you don’t want to miss any details about video games, technology, anime and series, stay tuned for our news section.