the japanese portal Eiga reported on the ten national and international films with highest cumulative take on Japanese land, measured through December 25, 2022. For this article we have only compiled the premieres of national films, since they are the ones that encompass the anime industry.
The list also includes earnings from movies that were released at the end of 2021, such as jujutsu kaisen 0 which hit Japanese theaters on December 24, 2021. Due to its release date, it was not considered on the 2021 earning list, which is why it appears until now.
Thus, the ranking of Japan’s national cinema includes four anime films, one live-action film based on a manga, and one tokusatsu film. The four anime films made a total of 52.36 billion yen in earnings (more than 395 million US dollars). This was 88.1% higher than the four most successful films of the year 2021.
Finally, the results were:
10. Confidence Man JP Eiyuuhen – 2.89 billion yen
9. Chinmoku no Parade – 2.97 billion yen
8. Yomei 10-nen – 3.0 billion yen
7. 99.9 Keiji Senmon Bengoshi The Movie – 3.01 billion yen
6. Shin Ultraman – 4.44 billion yen
5. Kingdom 2: Haruka Naru Daichi e – 5.16 billion yen
4. Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween – 9.78 billion yen
3. Suzume no Tojimari – 10.0 billion yen
2. Jujutsu Kaisen 0 – 13.8 billion yen
1. One Piece Film Red – 18.78 billion yen
「非常宣言」(C)2022 showbox and MAGNUM9 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. / 「ファミリア」(C)2022「ファミリア」製作委員会 / 「アバター ウェイ・オブ・ウォーター2」(C0202)Century Studios 2.2 All Rights Reserved.