Announced during Pokemon Presents of February 27, broadcast on the occasion of the pokemon daythe brand new “limited” animated series Pokemon now has a name Pokemon: Hisui’s Snowsand the first episode will be broadcast on May 18 on the official YouTube channels of The Pokémon Company (France, Japan, United States). As we already knew, the anime is produced by Wit Studio, in partnership with The Pokémon Company International. There will be a total of three episodes the duration of which has not been revealed at this time (especially since it is possible that the episodes will not all have the same duration). This is not the first time that Wit Studio has worked on Pokémon, since it had already taken its first steps in the license by partnering with OLM for Pokémon the Movie: The Power is Within Usthe 21st film in the series released in 2018. Then, more recently, Wit Studio once again helped OLM with the animation of the seventh episode of Pokemon Evolutions. Here is a brand new visual, followed by new information:
The story will take place in the region of Hisui, the old sinnoh that we can already discover in Pokemon Legends: Arceus on nintendo Switch. However, this anime will benefit from an original scenario and it will therefore not be an adaptation. In addition, it will go even further into the past, whereas in Pokémon Legends: Arceus there were already no Trainers and Pokémon Leagues. In Pokémon: The Snows of Hisui, we will see that the relationships between humans and Pokémon were very different. We will follow the scenario through the point of view ofAlec, the protagonist, who remembers, aboard his boat leading him to Hisui, the first time his father brought him to this region. The three episodes will reveal anecdotes from Alec’s past, where we will therefore see him as both a child and an adult. Of course, Alec won’t be the only new character in this anime, and Hisui’s form of Zorua will be at the heart of the adventure.
Alec heads to the Hisui region in search of medicinal herbs. He is a quiet young man studying medicine. As a child, he accompanied his father on a trip to the Hisui region. He had an adventurous and mischievous side back then.
Alec’s father is a woodworker. He has lived in several areas, but recently moved to the Hisui area to find materials there. Due to an incident, he is now very afraid of Pokémon.
Zorua (Hisui form)
The Grudge Pokémon living in the Hisui region. The tenacious spirits of the Zorua, those who perished after being driven from their territory, are said to have come back to life in this form, fueled by their animosity towards humans and Pokémon.
Here is the anime team at Wit Studio:
- Director: Ken Yamamotoalso known as You Yamamoto (key animator on many anime and animated films like Promare, Children of the Sea, Fate/Grand Order -Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia-, Fate/Grand Order The Movie Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot, Kuroko’s Basketball The Movie Last Game, B: The Beginning, My Psycho 100 II, Magical Circle Guru-Guru, Hirune Hime, Waking Dreams, Princess Connect! Re:Dive, The Promised Neverland, Run with the Wind, SSSS.Dynazenon and Gridman, Wonder Egg Priority, Attack on Titan, Darling in the Franxx, Fate/Apocrypha, Flip Flappers, March comes in like a lion or Ride Your Wave)
- Scriptwriter : Taku Kishimoto (also writer of Pokémon: Twilight Wings, he is a former member of Studio Ghibli who then worked as a writer for many anime like Usagi Drop, Silver Spoon, Haikyu!!, Prince of Stride: Alternative, Erased, Joker Game, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad, 91 Days, Hanebado!, Fruits Basket, Moriarty the Patriot, Ranking of Kings, Blue Lock or The Deer King)
- Character design: KURO
- Colors: Ayaka Nakamura (member of Wit Studio who worked a lot on colors for Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga and Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song-, but also many other anime and animated films that are not part of the studio including Boogiepop and Others, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, Amanchu!, The Heike Story, I want to eat your pancreas, New Game!, Night is Short, Walk On Girl!, Overlord, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, Ride Your Wave, Kiznaiver, Little Witch Academia or Weathering With You)
- Artistic direction : Yuuji Kaneko (member of the Aoshashin company who worked on the sets of numerous anime and animated films including Ranking of Kings, Little Witch Academia, Kill la Kill, Dororo, Dorohedoro, Blue Period, Banana Fish, L’Ère des Cristals, The Last: Naruto the Movie, Black Rock Shooter, Blue Spring Ride, Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan or Weathering With You)
- Direction of photography: Takeru Yokoi (member of Wit Studio, less known than the others mentioned above, who worked as director of photography on Magical Girl Boy and The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún)
- Offline editing: Akari Saito (editor of Mishima Editing Room who notably worked on Vivy -Fluorite Eye’s Song-, Devilman crybaby, The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún, Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Saekano, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!, Spy x Family or Attack on Titan)
- sound direction: Masafumi Mima (he has worked on the sound of many video games, anime and animated films including Super Smash Bros. Melee, Children of Mana, Pokémon Channel, Pokémon X and Y, a very large part of the Pokémon films, Attack of the Titans, My Hero Academia, My-HiME, Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Build Fighters, Inazuma Eleven, Ushio & Tora, Yo-kai Watch, Shaman King or even Sk8 the Infinity)
- Music : Conish (composer of Pokémon: Twilight Wings, who also composed the music for several anime such as Hetalia The Beautiful World, Mardock Scramble or Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal)
Wit Studio is best known for its work on the first three seasons, OVAs and recap films of The attack of the Titansanime and movies Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, The Ancient Magus’ Bride, Vinland Saga, Great Pretender, Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song and more recently Ranking of Kings. The next productions of Wit Studio are the anime adaptation of Spy × Family with CloverWorksas well as the movie bubble and the ONA vampire in the garden. The studio has also worked on anime Hozuki’s Coolheadedness, The Rolling Girls, Seraph of the End and After the Rainmovies Hal, The Empire of Corpses, Laughing Under the Clouds Gaidenthe ONA Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins and the OVA The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, a Rún. The studio has also distinguished itself in the credits of the games Tales of the Rays, Kotetsujo no Kabaneri -Ran- Hajimaru Michiato, BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle and Princess Connect! Re:Dive as well as the clips of the songs We’re Still Underground and This World to You of Eve, Blue: Line Step Brush of Under Graph and Sakugasaku of Uchikubi Gokumon Doukoukai. Note that Wit Studio has had other collaborations with OLM, namely anime Kedama no Gonjiro and GaruGaku: Saint Girls Square Academy.