news culture Mangas: One Piece, Dragon Ball, Bleach… the price of some mangas will go up, here’s why
Like the PlayStation 5, which has seen its price increase in certain markets, it is the manga published by Glénat that will suffer a price increase due to inflation. A price revisited by the publishing house which explains why.
- One Piece, Dragon Ball… why are the prices rising?
- One Piece, Dragon Ball… what are the new prices?
One Piece, Dragon Ball… why are the prices rising?
In a press release published earlier this week, the publishing house Glénat announced a price increase for its manga from the beginning of 2023. An increase in prices justified by a “exceptional situation“ as explained on their official website:
For good reason, the shortage of paper linked to the health crisis, the war in Ukraine and access to certain raw materials such as aluminum, the rise in energy prices, the cost of transport, printing prices but also cardboard which generate a very significant increase in costs.
At the end of its press release, Glénat explains that it does not usually raise its prices, again citing the exceptional nature of the situation.
One Piece, Dragon Ball… what are the new prices?
On this subject, the publishing house specifies that it wants to keep this increase as low as possible: it will be between 9 euro cents and 35 euro cents depending on the collections. A statement supported by examples, which you can find below:
- Old price – €6.90 to €6.99 (+€0.09) – Example of manga concerned: One Piece – Tokyo Revengers – Bastard – Berserk – Bleach – Dr Stone – Dragon Ball – Dragon Ball Super – Shangri La frontier – Sakamoto Days – Tokyo Ghoul…
- Old price – €7.60 to €7.90 (+ €0.30) – Example of manga concerned: Blue Giant – Dragon Ball SD – Dragon Ball Z – Gunnm…
- Old price – €9.15 to €9.50 (+ €0.35) – Example of manga concerned: Les Gouttes de Dieu – Stray Dog…
- Old price – €10.75 to €10.95 (+ €0.20) – Example of manga concerned: Chi une vie de Chat – Dragon Ball Perfect – Kenshin perfect – Ranma ½…
Finally, Glénat adds that only manga published after January 01, 2023 will include this price increase and not manga already released. For example, volume 103 of One Piece is expected for December 07: it will be priced at €6.90, while volume 104 will be priced at €6.99.