With One Piece Film Z coming to Netflix later this week and with the manga celebrating its 25th anniversary this year, it’s a great time to dive into some anime history. Here is the One Piece first episode date.
When did One Piece start?
There are actually two answers to this, believe it or not. For the audience in Japan, One Piece originally premiered on October 20, 1999. It didn’t actually air in English until September 18, 2004. There was a full five-year gap between the start of the show in Japan and its English dubbed release.
For those who are perhaps interested in starting an anime with such a long story, Funimation sums up the series by saying:
With a loyal crew at his side, Monkey D. Luffy will not drop anchor until he has claimed the greatest treasure on Earth: One Piece!
Even almost 23 years later, the One Piece anime shows no signs of slowing down as the show is still going strong. The series remains as popular as ever until its 20th season and will have an upcoming live-action adaptation series on Netflix with various casting announcements having already been made.
As part of the manga’s 25th anniversary, it was recently announced that a One Piece card game is coming to Japan in July this year with an English release somewhere in the fall/winter. Several starter decks have already been announced, as well as a booster pack. That’s still not all, as a new JRPG titled One Piece Odyssey was also announced late last month.
- Netflix’s One Piece Live-Action Adaptation Finds Its Full Body In Jean Henry
- One Piece JRPG “One Piece Odyssey” Announced for PS5, PS4, Xbox and PC with First Trailer
- One Piece: Episode of Arabasta Movie is now available on Netflix
- One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 Gets New Trailer To Celebrate 1,000th Anime Episode
- One Piece Film Red Announced With Teaser Trailer As TV Anime Reaches 1,000th Episode
search to get more