However, there were a lot of subtle hints around him that made us think in that direction.
- Shanks promised Buggy that they would travel to Laugh Tale on their own ships, but for the past 24 years he has made no move to obtain the Poneglyphs from the route (except the one he PROBABLY has). It’s as if he was waiting for something. Someone.
- The Prophecy: On Fishman Island, Oden and Roger overheard a conversation between two Sea Kings about the birth of two rulers. One being Shirahoshi and the other most likely being Joyboy. At that time, the two sovereigns had 25 years to meet. Today, we are only one year away (in the world) from this meeting. Luffy already met Shirahoshi in the 24th year but his Devil Fruit had not yet awakened.
- Gomu Gomu No Mi: Luffy ate the fruit around the 9th year since the prophecy. A year before Shirahoshi was born. This means that Shanks was trying to create the next Joyboy (from the last chapter, it’s obvious that Shanks knew the truth behind the Gomu Gomu no mi). And if you read chapter 1 again, you will see that Luffy was not intended to eat the fruit. He probably wanted Ace to eat him.. But when he heard the same words as Roger, he was convinced that Luffy was the one. He then enticed him to come to the sea and gave him the famous straw hat.
- Roger’s Pirates: Roger took 14 years to reach Lodester Island, but Luffy is ALREADY knocking on the door of Laugh Tale? Luffy’s travels have always seemed a bit too convenient. Why was Oden’s dying wish to open Wano’s borders ? Why did Rayleigh go out of his way to teach Luffy? Why is Shanks attacking One Piece now? Why did Roger suddenly surrender to the Navy after returning from Laugh Tale? What did Roger say to Shanks when he returned from Laugh Tale?
- After reaching Laugh Tale, Roger learned the secrets of the world. He found out he wasn’t Joyboy. They were 25 years “too early”. As Roger was soon to die, he took steps to ensure that Joyboy could appear within the next 25 years. He indirectly helped the Straw Hats do a speedrun.
Preparing the ground for Joyboy
After returning from Laugh Tale, Roger asked his team to set the stage for the next Joyboy. He probably gave these key instructions:
- SHANKS: To find the next Joyboy ET?
- ODEN: Open the borders of Wano so that Joyboy can reach Pluto.
- RAYLEIGH and CROCUS: Both are seated at the doors, Crocus just inside, Rayleigh just before Fishman. If Shanks is supposed to find Joyboy and send him on his way, he’ll give him Roger’s hat to wave at Crocus and Rayleigh. Crocus ensures that “Joyboy” can at least sail the Grand Line. Rayleigh watches over the new world to make sure Joyboy is strong enough.
- ROGER: To inspire the next Joyboy. To make sure they go to sea. TO CREATE A NEW ERA.
In the last chapter, Shanks says it’s time to claim One Piece. Because the wait is over. Before saying that, Shanks was looking at Luffy’s bounty poster, which would have let him know that Joyboy has finally woken up.. He will therefore claim the unique piece, which we personally consider to be URANUS, and give it to Luffy. The last step in Roger’s plan.