The Japanese portal Eiga.com reported the list of the ten most successful movies in Japan released this year (with the data registered up to December 12, 2021). The first nine positions were occupied by national films, the first five by anime or live-action adaptations, and the first three by anime films.
Many of this year’s films continue to be shown in theaters in Japan, with some of them releasing after the last date considered for records. At 2.69 billion yen through December 26, 2021, the movie Jujutsu Kaisen 0 would not enter the ranking even if it was considered, but the distributor TOHO predicts that he will achieve the goal of 10 billion yen (about 87 million yen) in earnings, considered the “figure that turns a feature film into a legend“. Finally, the complete list was as follows:
- 1. Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time – 10.28 billion yen ($ 89.5 million).
- 2. Detective Conan: The Scarlet Bullet – 7.65 billion yen ($ 66.6 million).
- 3. Ryuu to Sobakasu no Hime (Belle) – 6.53 billion yen ($ 56.9 million).
- 4. Tokyo Revengers (live-action) – 4.47 billion yen ($ 38.9 million).
- 5. Rurouni Kenshin: The Final – 4.34 billion yen ($ 37.8 million).
- 6. The Untold Tale of the Three Kingdoms (live-action) – 4.03 billion yen ($ 4.0 million).
- 7. ARASHI Anniversary Tour 5×20 FILM “Record of Memories” (live-action) – 4.0 billion yen ($ 35 million)
- 8. We Made a Beautiful Bouquet (live-action) – 3.81 billion yen ($ 33.2 million).
- 9. Masquerade Night (live-action) – 3.77 billion yen ($ 32.8 million).
- 10. Boku no Hero Academia the Movie 3: World Heroes’ Mission – 3.37 billion yen ($ 29.3 million).
Sinopsis de Neon Genesis Evangelion
In a post-apocalyptic world, the last remaining human settlement in Japan is the heavily fortified city of Tokyo-3. Fourteen-year-old Shinji Ikari is taken to the headquarters of NERV, an underground organization run by his estranged father, Gendou. He requests that Shinji become the pilot of an “Evangelion”, a colossal android built to fight the monstrous and destructive alien creatures known as “Angels” that wreak havoc on the planet and threaten the survival of the remaining human race.
Although reluctant at first, Shinji is convinced by the idea of reconciling with his father and agrees to help in humanity’s dangerous endeavor against the alien threat, as a pilot for Unit Evangelion-01. Pushed into the middle of a dangerous battlefield, Shinji must find the courage and determination necessary to face the incursions of the Angels before it is too late.
Fountain: Comic Natalie